Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Past Year

May of 2008 J graduated from medical school. It was quite possibly the proudest moment of my life. We all gathered in a large auditorium, my self, my mother and my in-laws. With cameras in tow and ready to catch every moment I waited to see my husband walk that special walk as a student for the last time. Soon the music started and the students poured in, I searched every green clad body to find him, I wanted to lock eyes, say a slient I love you and of course take a picture. With disappointment I thought I was going to miss him and then I found him standing still until I saw him. Looking up at me he grinned widely, waved at me then proceeded to his chair. After about an hour we all heard the long awaited words “Dr. Jason Kempenich”. It was a good day. My wonderful in-laws took us out for a celebratory dinner at a favorite restaurant, it was a feast. My father-in-law, bursting with pride, blessed us more then he could ever know. The rest of the family was a never ending Joy. We laughed a lot.

With all the excitement and joy the evening brought there was sadness as well. We were forced to say good bye to some very dear friends. Some of the most amazing people I have ever met. With heavy hearts we slept that night. It’s strange that the best moments of my life are always met with some kind of sadness.

Soon after we said another tearful good bye to our beloved family, J and I were off to Europe! Our adventure took us to Germany, Austria and the Chec Republic.The dream vacation before the tribulation of intern year began. We kept trying to capture the extravagant beauty of the mountains and quant villages but the camera couldn’t do it. (There is a sermon in there that maybe I will talk about later ;) I will try to post some of our attempts. We saw many incredible things two of my favorite were Neuschwanstein castle, the ‘Cinderella castle” and Eiseisriesenwelt, the largest known underground ice cave in the world. One was made by a crazy king the other by the King of Kings. One remains unfinished the other continues to build. We stood in awe, more times then I can count. We were seeing either Gods finger prints or mans’ selfishness and quest for power, polar opposite reflections of imagination. After two weeks and the dreaded stop at Heathrow airport we ended out vacation. We gathered up the small amount of belongs the movers had left behind, picked up out kitties, said one last good bye to Milwaukee and set out on another adventure, San Antonio Texas.

That brings us to our current date. After a trail that was blazed by God to get here we arrived almost a year ago. (Another story I will tell at another time). We have met some wonderful people who were an answer to a lot of prayers. We have a good Church, a great house and now my sister-in-law is living here as well! We are blessed more then we deserve. J is excelling in his intern year and as always everyone loves him. With all the challenges that residency brings we feel, again, blessed that we are doing so well. We always find time for each other and for friends as well. In-fact I can say that I love my husband more today then ever!

That’s the past year in a supper nut shell.


1 comment:

Amy said...

WOW! What a spectacular year! You've been through a lot. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stories!